It’s that time of the year when new or renewed land leases are being considered and negotiated. WFAN has been busy over the past week hosting events discussing important issues related to lease agreements and other land related legal considerations.
It’s that time of the year when new or renewed land leases are being considered and negotiated. WFAN has been busy over the past week hosting events discussing important issues related to lease agreements and other land-related legal considerations.
Women Landowner Days session on August 19th participants learned about leases, transition and legacy considerations, and property boundary lines, among other topics. Our August 24th Women, Land & Leases participants learned about types of lease agreements, incorporating conservation language into leases, and building transparent communication between tenants and landowners, among other timely considerations. And our August 26th Women Landowner Days session covered setting rental rates.
As you negotiate your next lease agreement or other legal considerations with your tenant, landowner, neighbor or family member, here are some resources we’ve collected from these events to help. Though many of these resources are Iowa based, we know some of the general information is broadly applicable but we do encourage you to seek specific information for your state.
- Your Farmland and the Future: https://peoples-company.s3.amazonaws.com/papers/Your-Farmland-And-The-Future.pdf
- Sustainable Agricultural Land Tenure Project: Landowner’s Guide to Sustainable Farm Leasing
- Sustainable Iowa Land Trust: An Iowa Farmer’s Landowner Guide to Sustainable Food Crops
Iowa Land Management Companies:
- People’s Company website: https://peoplescompany.com/
- Next Gen. Ag. Advocates website: https://www.nextgenag.us/
Lease Templates and Toolkits:
- Ag Decision Maker: Flex Rent Lease Template
- Farm Land Access: Legal Toolkit
- Land for Good: Toolbox and Lease Builder
- Illinois Farmland Leasing and Rental Forms: https://farmdoc.illinois.edu/agricultural-law
- 2020 Survey, Cash Rental Rates for Iowa: https://www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/wholefarm/pdf/c2-10.pdf
Iowa Third-Party Monitoring
Property Line/Fence Laws